Monday, November 10, 2008

Dishes by Rich Wallace


Dishes by Rich Wallace

This was sort of a strange book in my opinion. Or, perhaps fairer, it wasn't really what I was expecting when I read the summary off of my library's website.

Danny is straight and working for the summer in a predominantly gay tourist town in Maine. As a dishwasher at the restaurant 'Dishes,' Danny is only one of two straight guys that work there and the other is his father.

Danny goes after a waitress that works at a different restaurant but gets hit on fairly often by the waiters at his own restaurant which can get a bit confusing since Danny is nice enough (and secure enough I suppose) to not get weirded out at getting hit on by gay guys.

Perhaps that was where it got really strange for me. I don't know any 20-year-old guys that would be as cool about the situation as Danny was. Then too the book was short and kind of trite. Everything just worked out in the end. Amazing.

No comments: