Monday, October 27, 2008

Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn


Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

I just wasn't as impressed by this as the summaries had led me to believe I'd be... The plot seemed trite and overdone. The characters seemed very static and stereotypical. Two characters that I would have liked to see more of were Morio, a Japanese kitsune (read demon fox) and 'Smoky' a white dragon. One can hope they make a larger appearance in the second and third installments.

The plotline is fairly standard. Three sisters are living on Earth on assignment from their CIA-like agency from Faerie. Since the sisters are half Fae, half human they each have their weird powers. Camille is a witch, Delilah is a werecat and Menolly used to be great at acrobatics before a mission gone wrong saw her turn into a vampire.

The sisters manage well enough Earthside and they all have their own jobs. Menolly helps tend bar (at night of course), Delilah is a detective and Camille runs a bookstore. By the title, Camille is the obvious focus of this story and things were going fine until a friend that worked at the bar with Menolly died of very suspicious causes. That sets off a whole slew of otherworldly problems including the rising of a demon named Shadow Wing. I couldn't help it; I thought of Darkwing Duck every time I saw the name in print...

It took me a good four or five days to get through this slim little paperback, a size that would normally take one or two max. I just couldn't get into it. I'll (of course) read the next ones to see if they turn out better. I hope they do.

No comments: