Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy (late) Easter

I got home from working at Target at 12:45 or 1:00 a.m. on Easter morning and sat down to finish the rest of Fatal Voyage. As usual, Kathy Reichs' writing is intense enough that I don't like to read it before bed. (I'm a happy-endings girl at heart.) However I get so worried about the characters... that I just have to know how it ends or I'd spend all night tossing and turning and worrying about what kinds of crazy things Tempe got into while I was sleeping.

So I stayed awake until three getting the details hammered out of who was accusing (stalking and trying to murder) Tempe. I was all proud of myself because I had a vague idea of what was going on... that it wasn't just one person at the heart of the corruption but probably several at the top levels to have had her so stymied at every turn. That's way more than I usually have -- I must be getting used to Reichs' novels. Usually reading her books ends up being like a bus ride in China; it's crazily confusing and you'd best hold on to your seat and when it's all over you end up asking yourself what exactly happened and do I ever want to do that again?

Inevitably I do. I need to know what is going to happen to Tempe (and Ryan). So I've ordered the next book from the library. In this last one Tempe promised to give Andrew Ryan a try which I'd love to see happen.

At the end of Fatal Voyage Tempe has figured out all the twists and dips (and cartwheels) through the plot maze. I was SO worried for her when the unknown assailant knocked her & Boyd (the dog) unconscious... and then she woke up bound and gagged! Lucky thing she had that scalpel in her jacket and that her assailant left his medical bracelet at the scene of the attack so that Ryan and the sheriff could find her...

4.5 stars overall. They are excellent books and keep me coming back for more but they don't really make my favorites list due to the graphic content and the way I am constantly scared for Tempe's life... I am after all a happy endings girl...

No comments: